18 January 2013

Kimmie's Cocina: Easy Black Bean Dip + "Homemade" Tortilla Chips

Need a yummy, healthy snack that doesn't cost a fortune and is quick to make? Here are two great ones I found on the magic YouTube. I had to bring something to a get together with my friends, but I was low on funds. A Google search brought me to these easy, delicious recipes. Tweak to your liking :-D

Black Bean Dip

Ingredients (Original recipe)

1 can (15-16 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup salsa
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons lime juice
1/2 teaspoon cumin

Here's the video, chicas :-)

Isn't it easy? We didn't have any cilantro or lime juice, nor was there enough salsa in our jar leftover to have the proper amount. So I increased the cumin to a full teaspoon to add more flavor. Then, I poured our 1/8 cup of salsa in, and finished off the rest of the needed amount of salsa with mushroom pasta sauce for the flavor (it had the same type of tomato base with similar spices) and hots for texture and a weensy bit of kick.

I blended it for about a minute, had my brother taste it (he has a keen sense of taste for spices and whatnot) to get a second opinion, and loved it!

Nothing dovetails a great black bean dip better than tortilla chips. But I couldn't run to the store to buy a bag. So off to Google I went, and on the magic YT popped up this super simple recipe for making "homemade" tortilla chips:


Now they technically aren't homemade, but it's close, right? Lol. I used flour tortillas (the Pinata brand, but any kind will do) because we don't use the corn variety, and I drizzled some EVOO on them before baking in lieu of vegetable oil. She doesn't mention how long to put them in the oven (which is why her video has so many dislikes methinks ), but just check on them every couple of minutes until they look crispy and golden brown (13-14 minutes for me without the oven being fully preheated).

Bon appetit! Let me know if you try these and if you liked them :-D


P.S. Besides being yummy, both of these recipes are vegetarian and vegan friendly, and full of protein :-)

P.P.S. Here are some photos of how mine turned out.

Eh...left mine in a bit too long :-/ 13-14 minutes would've been good.

That to die for bean dip...the hots gave it a nice kick.

Better together - nom nom nom nom :-D 

What are some of your favorite recipes to make? Dish the deets (no pun intended)!

No comments:

Post a Comment